Welcome to johnbintz.com
May 2020 to May 2021 Art Progress
Top is from an unpublished Rabbit with 1000 Repos comic. Bottom is from
The NES: Playing Volleyball with Three of Your Friends.
Top is from an unpublished Rabbit with 1000 Repos comic. Bottom is from The NES: Playing Volleyball with Three of Your Friends.
2020 was the first time in a very long time I’d put serious study into my art since college. I have three main resources I used during that pandemic time:
- Ethan Becker’s YouTube Channel helped me realize I could be doing so much better and got me excited to fail at making art.
- Proko’s Figure Drawing Fundamentals helped me relearn all the things I had forgotten since college, with some additional tools to help with drawing the things I draw the most, people and people-like creatures.
- New Masters Academy nude life drawing sessions videos, because it’s not like I could have gone to some place in person to do nude figure drawing in 2020.
Hopefully once May 2022 rolls around I’ll be even better and faster.
Krita 4.4.3 on Android works!
Krita 4.4.3 was released recently, and the Android version fixed the biggest show-stopper for me to be able to use it: customizations to the app configuration are now restored on startup, so you can rearrange and modify settings and they are preserved between app uses.
This means I was able to set up Krita so I could minimize the time needed to go into the main menu, and not need to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+’s keyboard, while supporting a workflow similar to the one I came up with for Clip Studio Paint:
- The addition of Clear and Deselect to the top bar lets me use Lasso Select for manipulation and erasing much faster.
- Adding Show Dockers lets me hide most of the UI without having to go into full-blown Full Screen mode.
- I added Mirror View to the toolbar as well so I can quickly flip the canvas to check my drawings for errors.
- I moved Tool Options to the navigation and out of a docker since I don’t use it too often. Mainly for Reference Art.
- I moved the Toolbox docker to the top of the screen so all the tools are laid out in a row. Having them in the side docker meant I had to scroll up and down a bunch in the docker to find things.
- Everything else on the screen covers my usual CSP workflow.
There are a few things that are missing
- I want to be able to lock transforms to aspect ratio as a tool option to Transform. Without a keyboard, it’s not locked at all so you have to be precise when manipulating selections.
- There’s no right-click support on the canvas at all, even with a keyboard
or with a Bluetooth mouse, so vector operations are more difficult.
I went back to drawing balloons by hand like I did in the
Autodesk Sketchbook days of
Rabbit with 1000 Repos.
- More robust balloon handling in general would be great. I don’t care as much abuot text handling on Android since dealing with fonts is a total mess.
- I don’t seem to be able to save tags on brushes to be able to group them. I’ll have to experiment with this more.
I plan on doing all the art for the next Rabbit with 1000 Repos post in Krita to give it a real good workout. So far, so good!
Unused fanart for The NES: Cartridge Constraints
I had started down the road of redoing the covers of the games I featured in my recent Rabbit with 1000 Repos post about Nintendo Entertainment System Memory Management Controllers, The NES: Cartridge Constraints, but decided to switch instead to the memory magician acting out the game using balloon props instead.
I did manage to finish one that came out pretty great, and it’s a rework of the cover of the game Arkista’s Ring. Enjoy!
Root Fan Art, posted specifically for a contest
These are some characters built for a Root RPG campaign that I’ve been running for quite a while. I’m sure that I’ve referred to their existence while playing actual board games of Root. This post is for the Root Fan Art contest, and this is just a small sample of the art I’ve built over the past year. These pieces just happen to be the best. Hashtag RootFanArt. Enjoy!
TIC-80 - Demo 1
I’ve been doing some blog posts on Rabbit with 1000 Repos on how older computers manage their memory, and with some of the research I’ve been doing into the NES and the Amiga, I’ve wanted to mess around with a fantasy console platform. I decided to get into messing with TIC-80. I had wanted to experiment with PICO-8, but I also wanted Android export and wanted to support an open source project as well.
I decided for my first project to try a few things:
- Import an image
- Do scanline palette changing
- Write an audio track
- Do a stupid text thing
Here’s some things I learned:
- Image importing is
.gifonly. The colors in the image when you import them will match the built in game’s palette as best as possible. Which means that, if you have a 4 color GIF, color 0 in the GIF may not become color 0 in the imported sprite.
- In the music editor, the tracks are the individual tunes, the rows dictate the length of each frame in the track, and a frame is a collection of notes, kind of like a group of measures.
- You’ll need to put rests inbetween notes to get notes to turn on and off.
The completed demo is here: breen.tic.
A new demo coming shortly!