Linode OS Upgrade via /var partition reuse
I have a separate /var partition for my data, and all of my user-generated stuff (Sandstorm, Citadel, databases for things) lives there.
- Make a new OS image. I was going from 16.04 to 18.04.
- Make a new boot profile for the image. Include the new OS image and /var.
- Boot into single user mode.
- Mount the old
cp /var/lib/dpkg /mnt/var/lib/dpkg
- Docker container should theoretically come right back up once Docker is reinstalled.
- I have Sandstorm installed on
- Reinstall Sandstorm, then stop it
cp -av /var/sandstorm-old/var /var/sandstorm
- Restart Sandstorm