- Email (preferred): resume [at] johnbintz [dot] com, put
Resumeas the first word in the Subject of the email or your email will be deleted.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnbintz/
Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead - Tidelift
January 2018 - Present
- Manage 2 employees to help further their careers and get them the tools they need to succeed.
- Run daily standups.
- Work with product owners and stakeholders to determine priorities and scope of work.
- Write and illustrate blog posts about non-technical topics around open source and dependency management.
Frontend Team Lead - Sonian (bought by Barracuda)
December 2013 - January 2018
- Led and mentored 5 frontend developers in evaluating, selecting, and working effectively with modern frontend development technologies.
- Developed Ruby on Rails & React/Redux frontends for Clojure-based email archiving backends.
- Constructed unified frontend development environment to speed up on-boarding and provide a consistent development experience.
- Worked with designers to create and manage shared React component libraries.
- Created repeatable processes for setup, deploys, testing, and troublshooting applications for developers, support & operations.
- Managed deployed application requirements using Chef.
Software Developer - Space Telescope Science Institute
May 2005 - December 2013
- Worked with product owners and stakeholders to determine priorities and scope of work
- Managed deployed application requirements using Puppet and RPM
- Set up Varnish-based multinode CDN to handle 30x increase in traffic from Servicing Mission 4 Google Doodle
Assistant Webmaster - Villa Julie College (renamed Stevenson University)
May 2001 - May 2005
- Built an online application for admissions in Perl which increased applications 1000% and reduced processing time from 10 minutes to 45 seconds.
- Worked with teachers and administrative staff to develop content-based and programmatic solutions for promoting the school, classes, and events.
- Performed in-person usability testing to improve in-house applications using real-world feedback.
Education & Training
BS in Computer Information Systems - Villa Julie College (renamed Stevenson University)
Graduated May 2001
Minored in Graphic Design
- Learned various enterprise-level solutions for Java, SQL Server, and Microsoft Office
- Learned concepts of design, composition, and how to use Adobe design suite
- Trained to fix Y2K problems using COBOL, CICS, and JCL
Rabbit with 1000 Repos
- Write and illustrate posts explaining classic computer and game console concepts in accessible, humorous ways
- Create animated videos using open source tooling
- Manage builds of Hugo and DokuWiki Sandstorm applications
- Worked with two other developers to enhance and debug issues with popular comic publishing theme
- Developed administrative interface plugin for managing comics and uploads
- Wrote paint bucket tool that autotraced bitmap fills to create vector shapes
- Optimized path simplification
- Promoted project through presentations and talks about its use for making comics