Welcome to johnbintz.com

Krita Canvas Corruption Fix for Laptops

Dec 16, 2017

I don’t know how many others experience this issue, but when I have Krita open and I close the lid on my Lenovo laptop w/ an nVidia card, running Kubuntu, then open it, the art area becomes corrupted, most likely because the graphics card’s memory becomes screwy or something during sleep. The fix is simple: pick a layer or a few layers that cover large parts of the canvas and toggle them on and off. This will force Krita to have to redraw these areas and get them back into the video card’s RAM correctly. The layer on which I draw comic panel borders is the one I ususally use, since they cover nearly the whole canvas.

Connectable Desktop 3d Prints up on Thingiverse

Dec 09, 2017

I have way too many keyboards:

I also have way too many fountain pens (is that possible?), notebooks, and other writing tools:

I decided to design two connectable keyboard/notebook/pen holders that I could 3d print out. You can grab them off of my Thingiverse designs profile. I printed these with orange Inland PLA and they’re quite sturdy. I even ended up printing a few more of the keyboard holders and using them for holding cutting boards in my kitchen.

PostGraphQL Dev Notes - Part 1

Nov 21, 2017

Warning: some of this stuff will look pretty n00b. I’m not the strongest PostgreSQL user, which is the whole point of diving in deep with PostGraphQL. So far, this “database as app server” approach is working for this simple CRUD app I’m building, and I’ll be writing up more notes like this as I go, both to help solidify it in my mind and to help out other n00bs like myself with this different approach.

Dependent Table Permissions

I have a thing that contain other things (a has_many/belongs_to relationship in Rails) and I want to enforce, in PostgreSQL, ownership of both using the JWT approach in the PostGraphQL when working with the child thing. Within a node-pg-migrate migration file, I did this and it enforced the parent/child relationship of everything. This was probably overkill on the DELETE policy, but eh, it’s more code reuse and less to write for this very basic app:

  var rowLevelCheck = `
    (select true from myschema.parent_table as a
    where user_id = current_setting('jwt.claims.user_id')::integer
    and parent_id = a.id
    and user_id = a.user_id)

    create policy insert_child_table on myschema.child_table
    for insert to myapp_user with check (${rowLevelCheck});

    create policy update_child_table on myschema.child_table
    for update to myapp_user using (${rowLevelCheck});

    create policy delete_child_table on myschema.child_table
    for delete to myapp_user using (${rowLevelCheck});

Sandstorm Dev Notes - Part 1

Nov 17, 2017

I like Sandstorm so much that I’m finally developing an app for it. It’ll use PostGraphQL to move all of the business logic into PostgreSQL, and React, Redux, and Apollo to handle the UI and data reading/manipulation. I’ll be documenting the weird issues I’ve run into when setting this up, since there aren’t a ton of docs on this particular combo of services.



Due to how grains have random UID/GID assigned to them for security purposes, and because /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not available when running launcher.sh, initdb will fail because it wants to look up the current UID in /etc/passwd for security reasons. You can get around this by using nss_wrapper:

export PGDATA=/var/lib/postgres

echo "postgres:x:$(id -u):$(id -g):PostgreSQL user:/var/lib/postgres:/bin/sh" > /var/passwd
echo "postgres:x:$(id -g):" > /var/group

if [ ! -d $PGDATA ]; then
  LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libnss_wrapper.so NSS_WRAPPER_PASSWD=/var/passwd NSS_WRAPPER_GROUP=/var/group /usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin/initdb


Since you don’t have /etc. you also don’t have /etc/hosts, which is where the hostname localhost is defined. Use everywhere (your app, PostgreSQL config) instead.



Some Node modules want your HOME directory:

const home = os.homedir();

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, uv_os_homedir

export HOME=/var at the top of launcher.sh will fix it.

Apollo Client, and all XHR for that matter

You’ll want to send cookies from the grain frame along with your request, otherwise XHR won’t work. In an Apollo client for GraphQL requests, that looks like this (bonus Authentication header setting for PostGraphQL):

import { ApolloClient } from 'apollo-client';
import { createHttpLink } from 'apollo-link-http';
import { InMemoryCache } from 'apollo-cache-inmemory';
import { setContext } from 'apollo-link-context';

const httpLink = createHttpLink({ uri: '/graphql' });
const authLink = setContext((_, { headers }) => {
  const { jwtToken } = place.where.jwt.token.stored;

  const newHeaders = {};
  if (jwtToken) {
    newHeaders.authorization = `Bearer ${jwtToken}`;

  return {
    headers: {
    credentials: 'include', // gets XHR working with Sandstorm

export default new ApolloClient({
  link: authLink.concat(httpLink),
  cache: new InMemoryCache(),

I’m slowly getting my websites put back together. For now, you should check out the other places I’m currently maintaining on the information superhighway that I have linked to on the left.